Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4, 2014

Hello Dear Family,

What exactly is it that we are celebrating today?  The 4th of July?  A holiday in this country, commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain.  What does that say about our country?  For me, it reminds me that our country is populated by immigrants from all over the world.  People immigrated to the United States looking for opportunity, freedom, security...the land of milk and honey.  Unless you are a Native American, or a Mexican in the south, we are all decedents of immigrants.  What a beautiful thing.  This is what makes America strong.  This is what makes me proud to be an American.

Then why are these facts lost on so many Americans today?  I have been watching the news all week showing all the "Americans" protesting in their "American" towns, terrorizing all the women and children that have crossed our border to the south looking to escape danger, crime, and persecution, seeking opportunities in our land of milk and honey, just as OUR ancestors did all those years ago.  And what do we as Americans do? We lock them up like stray dogs in detention centers, and demand they be sent back to their own country.

What?

I wonder out loud what it is that I am supposed to be celebrating today?  What if this had happened when my ancestors immigrated to the good old USA?  Protesters locked arm and arm at all the ports of passage on the east coast, demanding that no one be permitted to step foot on American soil?  What if my family had been locked up in detention centers, treated like cattle, then shipped back on the first boat, when all we were seeking was opportunity and freedom.  Independence?

I love this country, I was born and raised here, but I also know that I am not a Native American.  My ancestors immigrated from many different countries, Mexico included. Today, on this "Independence Day," my hope is that the we as Americans do not lose sight of from whence we came.  We stop treating the women and children crossing into our country as vermin to be locked up and forgotten.  Instead, we welcome them into this country, just as our ancestors were welcomed all those years ago, and we pay it forward.  We share with them the promise of a beautiful place to call home.  Our beautiful place to call home.  And we celebrate justice and equality for ALL Americans living in this country, not based on our skin color, religion or sexual orientation.  This would be a true celebration of the beauty that is this country.

To all the Native Americans, and Mexicans who inhabited this land all those years ago before us, thank you for letting us join you here in this beautiful country we call the United States of America.

Yes, my flag still stand for freedom, but not just for me.  My flag stands for freedom for all who seek freedom.  And that is what makes my country great!

That is all.

Until next time...

My 365...


In other news, I am that mom who always says NO to fireworks.  At least I try to say no to fireworks.  We usually ride our bikes down to the park, and enjoy the beautiful fireworks display put on by the city of Boise every year, but with temps in the low 100°f's today...no thank you.  

Since daddy is off, he went ahead and took Blake to purchase a few fireworks for this evening, and he is going to make some delicious Frito/bean dip burgers for dinner...YUM!  Thank you daddy.  :)  We will celebrate The 4th of July our way.



 Oh dear, this can't end well.  *grin*

Be kind to each other, we all share this big beautiful planet of ours.  :)

Music I am listening to today...Gardiner Sisters,  God Bless The USA

The Daily V...



Peace.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Love,






Follow Me on...
Instagram
Flickr
Twitter
Facebook

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Visitors