Monday, December 3, 2012

Merry Christmas Mom! Orange Slice Cake

Nothing says Christmas like delicious traditional family recipes.  Growing up in Texas, the Holiday Season meant two things...my moms tamales, and her awesome orange slice cake.

In honor of mom, I have decided to give her recipes a try this year.

Let me start by admitting that I am not a fan Fruit Cakes at all.  Every year my father would order me a Collin Street Bakery Fruit Cake.  And every year I would add it to the kitchen cabinet where it would sit untouched for many years after that...lol  Sorry daddy, I loved you...but NOT the fruit cake!  :)  I am certain that The Collin Street Bakery Fruit Cake lived up to its delicious reputation, but I never did put that to the test.  YUCK!

Mom to the rescue!

My mom made her Orange Slice Cake every holiday season, and not one bite would be left on the plate.  She would bake these amazing, moist, orange favored cakes and wrap them as gifts for family and friends.

The recipe is quite easy, but there is a bit of labor involved when it comes to chopping and preparing the sticky ingredients.  Trust me when I say it is definitely worth the effort!

Ingredients:
  •   1 cup butter 
  •   2 cups sugar
  •   4 eggs
  •   1 teaspoon baking soda
  •   1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  •   1/2 cup buttermilk
  •   3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  •   1 pound chopped dates
  •   1 pound chopped orange slice candies
  •   2 cups chopped pecans
  •   1 cup fresh orange juice
  •   2 cups confectioners' sugar


Step 1 - and this is a VERY important step!  Turn on some of your favorite Christmas music.

Preparation:
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 
Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. 
Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk and add to creamed mixture. Add Vanilla extract.
Place flour in large bowl and add chopped dates, orange slice candy, and nuts. Stir to coat all pieces well. 
Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff and easier to mix with hands. It was too heavy for me to mix, so I had one of my men do it for me.  :)
Put dough in a greased and floured 13x9x2-inch cake pan. Bake at 250° for 2 to 3 hours. 

I know, 2 - 3 hours?  What kind of a recipe is this?  I have never found a recipe with such a huge baking time range?  I will say mine baked for exactly 2 hours and 15 minutes.  A nice low and easy bake at 250 °.
Combine orange juice and confectioners' sugar in a pot and warm through on the stove.
Using wooden skewers, poke holes in the baked cakes and pour warm orange mixture over hot cakes.
 Let the orange slice cake stand in the pan overnight.  (If you can wait that long to eat it!)  :)

"I don't think so mama!"

I topped mine with a little freshly grated orange zest.
Total Time: 3 hours
They say certain smells, sounds or tastes, can transport you back to wonderful memories.  It is true.  I took my first bite of this cake and it transported me back to my mama's kitchen.  Sitting around the table, with a nice freshly brewed cup of coffee...extra cream of course...enjoying a nice warm piece of Orange Slice Cake with mom.

Thank you mom.  <3

Enjoy!!

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Love,

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Blog Archive

Visitors