Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Picnic in the rain. April 25, 2012


It is the middle of the week, the boys have been studying hard, and I decided an adventure was in order.  Jack was off from work, and he is always game for a bike ride, so I planned another picnic in the park.

It looked like rain, but we collectively decided that we would not melt, so I made some ham sandwiches, carved up a fresh watermelon, and we loaded our two wheel horses for an evening adventure.

Sure there were storm clouds, but I was hoping things would clear by dinner time like they had been all week.

 We had a bicycle chain mishap along the way, but Jack packs everything but the kitchen sink in that backpack of his.  We were back on the road in no time at all.
 Blake and I decided to try a different park that has covered picnic tables...just in case.
 As we were sitting enjoying our picnic dinner, I noticed a sweet old man wandering through the park.  He seemed a bit lost...and he kept looking over at us.

He walked over after a while, and I invited him to join us.  I had packed an extra sandwich just in case the boys wanted more.  The old man was delighted to join us, his name was Bob, a retired veteran from San Francisco.

He reminded me of my grandfather.  :*)

Bob loved the sandwich and the watermelon.  He had a hard time hearing what we were saying...and we had a difficult time understanding what he was saying, but his smile and kind eyes spoke volumes.  We truly and sincerely enjoyed our surprise dinner guest.  :)
 "Mom, you have taken enough pictures of me today!"
 "Yeah mama'razzi, put the camera away."
"Not a chance boys, you know me better than that!"
We started to hear thunder rumbling from the foothills, so we decided to head home.
 And it poured rain on us!
 We were able to stop under the thick trees to get out of the rain.
The ride home was so much fun.  Pouring down rain, the sweet smell of mountain laurel, and the looks from all the cars passing us on the way home.  You know the look...."Wow, look at that crazy family riding in the rain!"

"Yep, we are a crazy family riding in the rain...having the time of our lives!"

When we got home, we were soaked to the bone and laughing our heads off!  Everyone had a hot shower, and I made some hot cocoa with marshmallows.
"Hot cocoa in April?"

Yep...and it was delightful.

Someone I know is going to sleep well tonight...
...I think we all will.  :)

If you have never had a middle of the week, impromptu adventure...I strongly recommend them!  Nothing will recharge your spirit more than fun with the people you love.  <3

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Love,

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Blog Archive

Visitors