Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 29, 2012

My 365...

It is so hard to remain calm when your teenager seems to have gone wonky. 

Girls...they are part of adolescent male development.  However, I would prefer that the girls interacting with my teenager have some semblance of stability.  Emotionally bankrupt, giddy to the point of "off the charts" goofy and total and complete lack of common sense and courtesy need not apply.

*sigh*

One day I was sharing a roof with a relatively stable and considerate teenager who loved cars, history and video games.  The next moment I am watching my son, who I love with all my heart, become a mindless goofball with a cellphone growing out of the side of his head.  And he is not engaging in charming conversation with this young lady, it is non-stop bickering, disrespect and fighting.  Like relationships are some sort of sick game. 

But no more.

I am going to keep it simple.  The cell phone is now being regulated.  Starting on Monday, he is to wake on time for classes, and complete his daily plan of schoolwork.  Once I have logged in to his school account and confirmed that the daily assignments have been completed successfully, he will get the battery back to his cell phone for one hour and one hour only.  If he has not completed his list of assignments, then no phone and deal with the wrath of mom.

Seems simple does it not?  I do not believe one needs a master's degree in applied science to figure this out. 

It is not like I have not been a parent to a teen before, he is child number 4.  It boggles my mind how much the rules change every day.  When I was 16, I could not even fathom engaging in the sort of conversations I have overheard him having with his peers.  To say it is disturbing would be an understatement.  The level of emotional investment in these encounters by young people who should be having fun with life is alarming.  They get sucked in completely, dealing with issues that they should not be experiencing at this stage of life. 

I think back to my older three children, trying to make sense out of all of this.  Looking for clues as to why it was easier, or at least seemed easier?  Yes I know, all my children are very different from each other, but there is something else going on here that I am missing.  The question is....what is it?

I am a stay at home mom, and this is hard for me.  I feel for all the moms and dads out there who have to work outside of their home for 8 plus hours a day.  I used to be one of them.  It is difficult enough managing the day to day mental health of our children.  Having to deal with the outside workforce on top of all the parental trials and tribulations is huge.  You have my respect!

And to all the parents of younger children I say...enjoy the little things.  I know they can be exhausting and borderline annoying at times...but they are easy compared to this.  No matter how strong the foundation we build as parents in the minds of our children, it is still a great big scary world out there.  The challenges that our babies will face are enormous and intense.

It is family dinner today.  Garrett and Kori are coming for dinner, Brandon and Cooper are here...I am sure family time conversation will be interesting.  Hopefully my older boys can give me some clarity in dealing with their younger brother.  It would be awesome if they had a father who could be "a father", but sadly that is not the case in this family.  The boys have each other, and they have me.

Chicken flautas, Mexican rice and home made beans is what is on the menu.  Their favorite.  I will update with photos this evening.  :)

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Love,

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Blog Archive

Visitors