Sunday, May 2, 2010

Never Give IT Audience!

What am I talking about? No I have not gone crazy, referring to an "it" as something that could require the slightest bit of "audience." What I am referring to is illness. Any disease, whether it be a physically degenerative disease such as Rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, MS, Diabetes or mental disease such as depression, anxiety, personality disorders, alcoholism, eating disorders or any one of a hundred others. "Don't give it audience", don't let it rule your life...you rule your OWN life!

My mom suffered from severe Rheumatoid arthritis that eventually lead to organ failure and cardio-pulmonary disease, but to the very last second of her conscious life she never gave it audience. I had the honor of speaking with mom just minutes before she slipped into sleep, and she told me "I love you, and never give up!" Here she was, just hours from death and she was still fighting with everything she had. That was so powerful for me, as she was a powerful force all through my life.

Fifteen years ago, right after the birth of my 4th child I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. I will be completely and brutally honest, thanks to mom, I have never given this disease audience. She inspired that in me, and because of that it has never owned me, it has never gotten me down. Sure there are days I have cried because it hurts, or I have cried because it changed my plans in life, but those are fleeting moments. I can think of one single time that it almost beat me. That was the day I was in a lot of pain so I went to see my rheumatologist. At the time I was still breastfeeding my fifth child, and I refused to give up the breastfeeding to start back on the toxic meds like methotrexate. I was not ready to give that up and was being extraordinary stubborn about it.

The doctor came in the room and gave me a Methotrexate injection. And he said, "There, decision made!" OMG I could have melted that man right were he stood just with the seething anger coming from my eyes. But he was right.

You see, you must never give your disease audience, but you must acknowledge that it is there. If you do not, then you will not seek the proper treatment needed to keep it in check. Without treatment, your disease claims its own audience and everyone in your life suffers not just you. And that is not fair. You must not subject the people in your life to the same pain you deal with day in and day out. Own it, do not let it own you.

And give...whether it be money to the foundations to find a cure, or prayers for all the people who suffer from disease. If you are strong and healthy be thankful, take care of yourself, and offer a thought or prayer to people in this world who could use a little of your strength.

Arthritis Foundation

Diabetes Association

Heart Association

National Alliance on Mental Illness

American Cancer Society

That is just to name a few that have touched my life. The list goes on and on and on.

So thank you for giving "me" audience. I am doing well thanks to Methotrexate, Enbrel, Celebrex and a few others. Research leads to medication that can make life so much easier.

Live your best life, never take it for granted, and send positive thoughts and strength to the millions of people who deal with disease.

To mom, thank you for inspiring me. I miss you so much and I love you.

Remembering Mom

And to my other mom, my very special aunt Magdalena, "Happy Birthday!!" Today she celebrates her 91st birthday. I hope to look as fabulous and strong as she does at 91.

Much love,

0 comments:

Welcome to Mommy plus Five

I am a work from home mom of five amazing children, and five beautiful grandchildren. Enjoying my 50's and all that life has to offer.

Time to start a new 365.

Thank you for stopping by! :)


http://veronicagraphics.com

Networked Blogs

Visitors

Our Dogs

#1 dog site for dogs & bipeds!

Blog Archive

Visitors